Thursday, May 18, 2006

DaVinci Code aka I missed class for this?

Is it bad? Ehhhhh, maybe. Is it good? Not really. It's just kinda there. Flashback to 3 years ago...riding in my car to visit my mom in Charlottesville. My step-mom had given me The DaVinci Code on CD to listen to on the trip. I'd heard alot of people talking about it and had heard how "amazing" it was, so I figured it was worth a shot at least. I don't remember much about the book except for one specific part near the end. If you've read it or seen the movie, then you know there's a twist close to the end that maybe you don't quite see coming. I remember this twist vividly because as soon as it happened, the first thought that popped into my head was "hollywood screenplay". Now we all knew that it would get turned into a movie anyway because it's one of the best-selling books in recent memory, but to me it almost felt like it was written with that movie goal in mind. So now flashforward back to today...we have a totally average book turned into a below average movie. This doesn't suprise me though, since most movies never come close to their written word counterparts, and even now average goes to below average, just taking a small step down each time.

There's zero chemistry between Hanks and Tatau in the movie. They both feel wooden and almost like they are being forced to work alon side each other. Jean Reno was completely wasted in the film, only making brief appearances and none of them are memorable even in the slightest. I guess the high point of the movie is Ian McKellan, but he's good in everything, so it's to be expected. Once you get to the previously discussed "twist" you'll be sighing, glad that it's at least drawing to a close in under 2 and a half hours, and you can tell everyone "yeah, it was ok". But wait! Prepare yourself for about another half hour of plodding, directionless, boring dialogue! I really felt like leaving during the last 30 minutes of the movie, and I probably should have since there wasn't anything to miss at that point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home